0800 298 9690

Callback Request

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Occupiers Liability

If you have been injured due to an accident on another person’s property then you may be entitled to make an occupiers liability compensation claim. Hattons Solicitors are experts in dealing with occupier liability cases where someone has been injured due to somebody else’s negligence on premises they control.

The Occupiers Liability Act 1957 Places a Duty of Care on the Occupier of the Premises

The Occupiers Liability Act 1957 places a duty on the occupiers of premises to take reasonable care so that visitors will be reasonably safe in using the premises. The term ‘occupier’ means the person in control of the land, building, premises, shop, warehouse, car park etc. The ‘occupier’ might be a Local authority, a company or an individual.

Under the Occupiers Liability Act, the occupier of any building or land, has to make sure that they do everything that is reasonably possible to prevent you from having an accident on their site. If they are found to be negligent in fulfilling this duty of care then they may be liable to pay you compensation under occupiers’ liability laws.

The most common occupier liability claims we deal with are:

Occupiers Liability Applies to Buildings Open to the Public

If the accident was in a building open to the public such as a bank, a supermarket, or a restaurant then the occupier’s liability compensation claim would be settled by the occupier’s public liability insurance policy providing the accident was the occupiers fault.

You May be Able to Make a Occupiers Liability Claim if You’re Injured on Council Owned Property

If your accident was on a council owned property such as a council owned car park, playing field or park, then you would be able to make an occupiers liability compensation claim against the local authority if the accident was due to their negligence.

If your accident was on private property such as a house or piece of land privately owned by an individual, you would be able to make an occupier liability compensation claim providing the accident was the fault of the land owner or occupier and they had suitable insurance or the personal financial means to satisfy any successful claim.

Hattons Advise You On Your Options When Making an Occupiers Liability Claim

We can advise you on the best options and answer any concerns or questions that you have before processing any occupiers liability claim.

We work closely with our clients to keep them informed about their claim and our clients can also access our online file view system to find out where their occupiers liability case is up to at their own convenience.

If you have had an accident on somebody else’s property and would like to make an occupiers liability claim then please call our expert solicitors on 0800 298 9690 or fill in the Claim Now form to the right of this screen.


We are proud to be accredited by

Resolution Logo Personal Injury Logo Resolution Specialist Logo Lexcel Logo Legal Aid