0800 298 9690

Callback Request

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Repairing the damage caused by housing disrepair

Whether renting privately or via a local authority or housing association, many tenants encounter issues with their landlords, including disrepair. With issues ranging from rising damp, mould and leaks to dangerous wiring and vermin infestations, you need someone on your side should this happen to you.

The tenancy agreement you sign should provide protection, including that your landlord will keep the property in a good state of repair. Unfortunately, landlords don’t always fulfil their obligations and so, if this happens, tenants can claim for breach of the contract. A landlord’s obligation usually only extends as far as the structure, exterior and supply of utilities to the property, and so a basis for a disrepair claim could be for damage caused by a water leak but not by condensation, for example.

At Hattons, we are seeing more cases of tenants who have told their landlord of a problem but are still waiting for repairs to be carried out. We are securing compensation for people who have experienced an uncooperative or unreasonable landlord after they have reported a problem and obtaining court orders to get those works carried out. We are also securing compensation for inconvenience and abatements of rent if tenants have not been able to use their homes in the normal way or illness has been caused by the disrepair.

To assess whether you have a claim for disrepair, all we need is a photograph of the issue, details of when the disrepair was reported to the landlord and a copy of the tenancy agreement if you have it.

So, call us today on 01744 744400 for free impartial advice. We’re on your side.



We are proud to be accredited by

Resolution Logo Personal Injury Logo Resolution Specialist Logo Liverpool Law Society Logo St Helens Chamber Logo